Monday, March 31, 2008

outfits today

Well today has been one of those days already...as some of you know Riley spits up quite often, so we usually go through many outfits during the day, although some days not so bad. Today Riley is currently in her fourth outfit of the day and it's only 1pm! This morning she spit up all over her clothes she was wearing and since she was due for a bath, I decided to just give her a good scrub down. After I made her nice and beautiful, lotion and all, I sat her in her little Bumbo chair so I could fix myself some lunch. No more than a few minutes passed by before she upchucked all over herself. I decided to just wipe it off and not change her clothes just yet. And sure enough, a few more minutes pass by and she does it again. So I change her into another cute little outfit and set her back in her chair so I can finish my lunch. Then once again, all over her clothes. Again, I just wipe it off and finish my lunch. I take her out of the chair and decide to sit down and read her some books. I am turning her around and wonder why her leg is so wet and what is that smell...yep, she pooped and it leaked through her diaper and onto her clothes. I look down at my white long-sleeve that I'm wearing, and yes, there is poop all over that too. So back to the changing table we go and put on the 4Th outfit of the day. Just as I'm snapping the buttons on her clean clothes, she opens up her mouth and spit up drools down the side of her face, making her shirt wet as well as the back of her head and hair. So much for a clean baby!

I had to chuckle through all of this because it truly was comical. And the wise words of my dear mother (mother of 5 as well as therapist) kept ringing through my head..."Oh Elizabeth, these are not the important things in life"...commenting on my frustration regarding Riley's spit-up problem a few months ago. She has always told me to pick my battles and reminded me in this case that the clothes can be washed and stains removed and life will go on. So today I will just roll with it and enjoy motherhood for the important things - like this picture below of Riley and her friend Abbey.

3 comments:

kjg said...

I hear you all the way Elizabeth...thanks for the reminder of "choosing your battles" as there are many to choose from! I hope the second half of your day is a bit cleaner!
Megan

Martha said...

Good job keeping it all in perspective- just wait until she can cruise around and color her face w markers and smush banana in her hair. Right now you are building your patience for sure to be messier moments!
Love ya. MSM

Kristen Gough said...

:) that's just the way of it with these babies, isn't it?! you're doing such a great job, elizabeth, and i admire your perspective and positive attitude! love this photo of riley and her friend...so, so sweet!