Wednesday, September 19, 2012

First day of Pre-K & our weekend

IMG_5962_zpsfb8c7d48

IMG_5965_zps8b10473c

Riley had her first day of preschool this morning!  This year she is in the 4's class, MWF for 3 hours.  She is at the same preschool as last year with the same teachers and mostly the same kids in her class.  We have been so excited to start!  This morning she just went for an hour then will start with her regular schedule on Friday.  She was super excited, but a tad anxious as we were walking up and even grabbed my hand, which was so sweet and so unlike her.  She had fun finding her bin then marched right into class, full of confidence and knowing exactly what to do next.  She even hugged both her teachers, which she never does!  When we picked Riley up she was happy to see us, but fairly quiet about how her first day went.  Sonja was more than thrilled to see Riley.  I think she was rather put off by the fact that she could not go to school with her!  Little sister pretty much wants to be Riley, poor thing.  Riley was pretty exhausted from the whole first day hype so we spent the afternoon playing around the house and I had the kids fed, bathed and in bed before 7pm tonight, a wonderful and much needed accomplishment :) 

This last weekend was a busy one - we celebrated Sonja's birthday in more ways than one!  I think I overdid it this year since I was feeling a bit anxious about how I would be feeling.  I wanted to go overboard since last year I felt like my celebrations were shoved to the side for more important pressing matters such as a sick brother.  We invited over our good friends for dinner that evening and had a fun and wild evening with the kids, basking in the amazing late summer weather we've been having.  Here is a picture of most of the crazy kids 

IMG_5923_zps1eb38f59

We also welcomed Melinda, Tylers mom, late Friday night for a weekend visit.  She came to celebrate Sonja's birthday with us, as well as help with the kids while I ran in the Bellingham Traverse.  We did this race 4 years ago with some friends when Riley was just 10 months old.  We decided to get our team back together this year for another go at it.  Tyler injured himself mountain biking about 6 weeks ago, so last minute decided to not do his leg.  He found a last minute sub, so he ended up just cheering us on.  The race consists of 5 legs and I did the 3.4 mile trail run.  I had a blast doing it - the adrenaline from the race and the beautiful sunny Bellingham day made for a great experience.  Here is a team photo - with the Youngs as well, since Kyle was our last minute sub (total ringer by the way!!!  he pulled our team from nearly dead last after the first leg to middle of the pack!)

IMG_0610_zps9e11e8a2

Saturday evening Tyler made us dinner and Melinda spoiled the girls with gifts.  Here the girls are in their matching vest from great grandma Chris aka Grandma in the Bus

IMG_5933_zpscd179327

IMG_5929_zps02021bcf

Sunday we drove to Seattle for a family party at my mom's house.  We had a very casual and fun time hanging as a family.  I love my family and love being around them.  I have noticed, especially, in the last year that being around my family is refreshing and comforting, like a calming salve to my forever aching wound.  They are the only people in the world that truly get it.  And ps. Martha, Tyler and Henry just got back from a two week roadtrip to Yellowstone and the Tetons, so here Henry is showing off his new cowboy hat.  Love this little man.  

IMG_5939_zpsedded111

IMG_5957_zpsc7f5a54c

IMG_5960_zpsea2b77b8

Again, happy 2nd birthday my sweet Sonja!

1 comment:

Kristen Gough said...

that photo of the girls in their matching vests!!! absolutely amazing smiles! love you guys! sounds like a very fun week!