Tuesday, April 22, 2008

happy earth day and other things

I've been thinking about the fact that today is Earth Day and although my sister Martha is much more savvy re: environmental matters, I have been trying to be more conscious about my "impact". So far these are the tiny steps I have taken:

1. I always try to remember to take my canvas tote when grocery shopping
2. I try to run my errands via foot (which is not too hard in Bellingham, esp where I live!)
3. When I must drive, I am strategic about the location of errands and will group them together, therefore making less trips
4. I am switching out all my light bulbs with energy efficient bulbs this week
5. We use an energy efficient washer and dryer

Hmmm...I think that's it. Although we do have a compost going in our back yard, we are not good about using it. And of course we recycle. I suppose it's just one step at a time.

We have been busy around here lately. I made a trip down south to visit Angela & Ellie in Milton and then continued down to Portland to see Erin and her boys. It was nice to get out of town for a few nights, especially since Tyler went surfing with his brother for one of the days I was gone. Angela and I spent the day doing some shopping, eating and then mostly playing/taking care of our little ones. We even got to go out to dinner together while Dan took care of Ellie and Riley cooperated and slept through the whole thing. It was great to be adults and just chat! And then Erin and I did a lot of laying around, walking, eating, shopping and organizing bo's room. The room is coming along beautifully and I can hardly wait to see little bo in his crib. He was even nice enough to let Riley sleep in his crib. She said the mattress is so comfy and thanks a lot! I did not take any pictures, so check out Angela and Erin's blog for a few pics.
I just finally got a little high chair for Riley. It currently sits on our kitchen table, as I'm still trying to figure out the best spot for it in our tiny kitchen. I have not started solids yet, so I am just getting Riley used to her new chair by giving her lots of toys to play with. I was so surprised by how well she enjoys sitting and playing while I cook, clean, etc. She especially loves to throw her cups on the ground and even into Doc's food bowl. It's a fun game to pick them up every 10 seconds and give them back to her and then watch her throw them on the ground! I am truly delighted to watch her grow, learn and experience new events.

Think it's time for a new fence? Hmm...what gave it away? The metal rods that have been holding it in place for the last two years or the bungee cord strung through the slats? Well, we have officially started re-building the back fence. This is the last section of the fence to do, so we are thrilled to have this project underway. Tyler is digging holes as I write. I will be sure to post a picture of the completed project.

Other than that, I am still training for my upcoming half marathon. Only 1 1/2 weeks left...Yikes! I am hoping that my hour long walk, yoga and run today will somehow help me finish those 13 miles. I always used to cram for tests, so maybe the same theory applies when training? We are also looking forward to my sister Rachel's college graduation May 11, as well as our 5 year wedding anniversary trip to San Francisco mid May. Happy and Busy Spring!

3 comments:

Kristen Gough said...

such a great update, elizabeth! i love this photo of riley in her high chair. she is such a cutie! i've been thinking about you as your 1/2 marathon approaches. i'm so proud of you for taking on this challenge, and look forward to hearing about the actual event in a couple weeks! we love you guys! glad to hear you're all doing well!

Martha said...

Riley has the sweetest angel face that I have ever seen! I can't wait to see you guys again soon!

I think small changes towards having less of an impact on the earth is the level that everyone should start thinking on. People get so overwhelmed trying to drastically change their lifestyles to "become green" and then give up because it is too hard. If we all start thinking of small changes we can make in our lives, pretty soon it will become second nature and we can eliminate more and more wastefulness in many aspects of our lives! I think the list you made is a great!

Aleah said...

Yup, time for a new fence back there! Exciting that it's in the works already!

Love those one pieces (that Riley's wearing)!

We've changed out a lot of "stuff" in our household also. I won't list it all here, but it feels good doesn't it!